OxyShred is currently one of the best-selling fat burners in Australia. It is manufactured by the supplement company EHPlabs which is based in Salt Lake City Utah. EHPlabs is growing like crazy and sponsors some of the most popular athletes in the industry. OxyShred is their number 1 product however they also sell a range of whey protein supplements (Oxywhey, Isopept Zero), Pre-Workouts, BCAA’s, Joint Supports and some others.
For the past 30 years I have been on numerous diets and at times have managed to get to around 7-8% bodyfat. In the process, I have tried numerous fat burners. When I first got involved in bodybuilding, I was able to go down to my local pharmacy in South Africa and purchase a bottle of pure Ephedrine HCL for around $5. Ephedrine mixed with caffeine and aspirin or an ECA stack was probably the best fat burner I have ever used. It was cheap, suppressed my appetite and increased my metabolism. Besides the ECA stack I have tried many other products over the years. Most have been hit or miss. I finally gave up on them and haven’t used any for at least two years.
For the past 3 months I have been on a calorie-controlled diet and have managed to lose 6.8kg. When I started, weight loss was quick however, as with all diets, it has slowed down. I have been looking for a new fat burner which will help me lose the last 5kg and get me to around 10% bodyfat.
There are three things I look for in any fat burner:
1. It must suppress my appetite. It doesn’t matter how good your fat burner is, if you are not on a calorie restricted diet – you won’t lose weight. Its pretty simple. Calories burned must be more then calories consumed. The greater the difference the more weight you will lose. When you restrict calories, your body tries its best to hold on to fat stores and therefore sends a message to your brain to tell you to eat. Being consistently hungry is detrimental to any diet and one of the reasons appetite suppressors are used.
2. It must give me energy. As your weight drops and in turn your body fat, you can become tired and fatigued. This is since you have less energy from food as well as your muscles becoming weaker which is a certainty while losing weight. I always try to keep the weights I push at gym as close to what I was doing before dieting as possible. A fat-burner that provides energy can help with this.
3. It must taste OK. There is nothing worse then having to drink a powdered fat burner that tastes terrible, gives you indigestion, or repeats on you for hours after consumption.
So why is OxyShred such a Popular Fat Burner?
OxyShred claims to meet all my criteria for an effective fat burner. Their website says:
“OxyShred is a thermogenic fat burner that stimulates your body’s fat receptor cells and boosts your metabolism to promote an increased level of fat burning, along with curbing your appetite, limiting calorie absorption, boosting immunity and providing a natural boost of energy.”
1) Mobilize and burn stubborn fat cells
2) Gives you energy throughout the day
3) Boosts your metabolism, helping your body destroy stubborn fat cells
4) Limits calorie absorption
5) 100% natural, delicious flavors
6) Mood enhancers and immunity support
7) No heavy stimulants or jitters
It also comes in a variety of great flavours such as:
· Guava Paradise
· Wild Melon
· Kiwi Strawberry
· Pink Grapefruit
Looks great on paper but how well does it work. I decided to purchase a tub and test it out by logging a week using the product. The flavour I purchased was Pink Grapefruit. I don’t care to much about which flavour I choose if it tastes OK. The OxyShred directions say that you should take up to two servings per day. The first should be in the morning on an empty stomach and the second should be taken only on training days as a pre-workout and not after 5pm.
Day 1: Weight – 75.95kg
I took the first serving in the morning. Tasted great and mixability was very good. Didn’t feel as hungry throughout the day as I have been lately. The appetite suppressant seems to be working well. I took the second serving at 4:30pm however I only got to gym at around 6:30pm. My workout was average, and I didn’t notice any energy difference. I managed to get to sleep easily even though some pre-workouts prevent me from falling asleep and staying asleep.
Day 2: Weight 75.95kg
Weight has stayed the same which is fine as its only been one day so not too concerned. My goal is to lose 1kg this week which would be incredible. Calories are 1200/day which is very low. I have a slow metabolism which is why I need such a low count in order to lose weight. Today I am not training and only took one serving in the morning. My training routine is 4 days per week for around 1 hour per workout. I was extremely hungry in the evening. Possibly due to getting used to the appetite suppressant from OxyShred and the morning dose wearing off. I think it may help taking it in the late afternoon on non-workout days.